Now that we have switched gears into autumn and are preparing for some cooler weather, it’s time to focus on stronger immune support and flu season. Our wellness experts have put together a comprehensive list of our favorite and most powerful immune supporting supplements to keep you well into the new year.
- Orthomune by Orthomolecular is going to be the powerhouse you need to get vitamin D3, vitamin C and zinc at effective doses without taking 3 or more different bottles. It also has n-acetyl-l-cysteine (NAC) and quercetin which are both powerful antioxidants. Quercetin helps balance t-lymphocytes and cytokines while NAC supports mucus clearance and normal respiratory function. Got a virus kicking you down, mucus and a cough, or difficulty breathing? Try Orthomune.
- Viracid by Orthomolecular is my personal favorite and my preferred supplement to keep my family safe. This supplement packs a punch and I recommend it be taken prophylactically or when coming down with an immune challenge. I suggest people traveling during the holidays take 2 capsules a day to support their system and if they become sick to follow the recommendation on the bottle of 1-2 capsules every hour. The combination of vitamins, amino acids and herbs ensures a comprehensive approach to addressing viral infections. Do yourself a favor and grab a bottle and a blister pack or two because someone you know and love is bound to need the support.
- Liposomal C is one of our wellness team’s favorite suggestions! Liposomal vitamin C is better absorbed than dry capsule forms, so you get the relief you need quicker. We love Dr. Mercola’s and Livon Labs. Liposomal vitamin C. About 1,000 mg of liposomal C a day is typically suggested and in times of more immune needs you can double that dose. Liquid forms are great options for people having a hard time swallowing large capsules.
- Vitamin D is the good old standby and we’ve got every single option you could possibly need. Most people have low levels of vitamin D and going into an aggressive immune season with love levels isn’t a great idea. We have options from 400 IU to 50,000 IU! We also have liquid, capsules and soft gels with or without K2. If you don’t know your vitamin D level we suggest a dose of 2,000 IU per day taken with a meal.
- Elderberry syrup (pictured top) is overall the best option for families with kiddos. Everyone agrees it tastes really yummy, so you won’t have to beg the kids to take their medicine. Cassie Green elderberry syrup is our local favorite and it’s easy to dose! 1 tsp to 1 tablespoon a day for adults and ½ to 1 teaspoon a day for kids. Pro tip: Stir some into a seltzer water and squeeze some fresh lemon for a healthy mocktail!
- Wishgarden herbal formulas like Kick-ass Immune Activator and Deep Lung are great options for the person who prefers herbal medicine or can’t swallow capsules. My favorite thing about Wishgarden’s products is not only are they really effective, but they’re surprisingly delicious! 6-8 pumps every 1-3 hours of Kick-ass Immune Activator is going to help you bounce back quickly. You could also add a few pumps with the elderberry syrup to a mocktail for a bigger immune boost!
- Mushrooms cannot be forgotten. Stamets 7 by Host Defense is a special blend of organic mushroom mycelium to help your body adapt to stress and have a balanced immune response. This would be good to start now, at the beginning of the season, and continue until we are all the way through flu season. If you love the idea of turning your medicine into a tasty drink, try One Farm’s Daily 8 Cacao Immunity Powder. Pro tip: Mix 1 scoop into 8 ounces of hot coffee and use your frother to meld the flavor of the cacao and coffee together well.
- Finally, one of the best ways you can be proactive is by picking up Influenzinum 30 C by Boiron. Every year for the past 6 years I have given my family this homeopathic remedy to help our bodies against the flu. We recommend if you want to use this remedy prophylactically, take 3 pellets under the tongue once a week for the entire flu season. Pro tip: It’s easiest if you choose Sunday to take your dose and mark it on your calendar.
- If you do catch the flu, you may need another great homeopathic: Oscillococcinum. It is a non-drowsy, safe, and effective homeopathic remedy good for the whole family ages 2 years old and up. For acute symptoms of flu, take Oscillococcinum every 6 hours. There are convenient individually packaged dosages you take under the tongue for quick relief. You can alternatively put the pellets in a bottle of water and sip every hour to boost the effects of the remedy.
Although these are some of our favorite recommendations, we have several options to fit each person’s needs. We’d love you to stop in and speak to our knowledgeable wellness staff and get started on an immune protocol to keep you and your family well. Stop by your closest Peoples Rx to grab these remedies – and they even have a free dosage handout on how to effectively take the above two homeopathics for support. Our resident homeopathic practitioner, Jenna Blaze from our N. Lamar store recommends working with a homeopath or naturopath if you need additional support.
If you have comments and/or questions about this blog, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Lauren Sanchez, ND* helps people who want to feel their best and gain more energy and optimal wellness through a plant-based diet. Learn more about her approach to wellness and schedule a visit with her here. Learn about Peoples Rx practitioners who are available for consultation both virtually as well as in person here.
*Although licensed in other states, Naturopathic Doctors are not currently licensed in Texas. To support licensure efforts, please visit www.txand.org.