What do millions of people in Korea and throughout Asia eat every day that aids in digestion and boosts the immune system? Give up? It’s kimchi and Austin brand Oh Kimchi is as authentic as it gets in the local kimchi game. Originally a farmer’s market exclusive, owners Duane and Abbi Lunde are now supplying each Peoples location with fresh jars of both traditional “Napa Cabbage” and “Vegan Mool” varieties for your health and taste buds.
What is Kimchi?
Kimchi is a traditional Korean condiment consisting of a variety of vegetables, ginger, spices and salted seafood that give it a robust flavor and help with the overall fermentation process. Despite the fermentation and added seafood, it’s not the least bit fishy! This beautiful concoction is left to ferment for a few days and the end result is one that is both delicious and nutritious.
This amazing staple is chock-full of health benefits, loaded with vitamins A, B, C and healthy bacteria called lactobacilli (4 times as much as probiotic yogurt), which greatly aid in digestion and help keep your body’s natural flora balanced. Studies have shown that kimchi boosts your immune system, helps ward off viruses and infection, and may even shrink some cancers.
Aside from the seemingly endless health pluses, kimchi is also super delicious! While eating it straight out of the jar is perfectly acceptable, here’s a favorite and super easy kimchi recipe.
Kimchijeon (Kimchi Pancake)
- 1 cup Oh Kimchi (any flavor works!)
- 3 tbsps of kimchi juice
- 2 tbsps chopped onion
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup rice flour (soaked then blended mung bean makes a great substitute as well)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsps grapeseed oil
1. Combine all ingredients (excluding oil) in a bowl until well distributed.
2. Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Place small dollops of the mixture in the pan and spread until fairly flat. Cook for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy.
3. Plate and serve immediately. For the more carnivorous, add some pastured pork to the mix. Great as an appetizer or entrée coupled with a salad!
by Marshall Hamilton, Grocery Manager. Oh Kimchi products are available at all Peoples locations. Follow them on Facebook here!