In this edition of Ask the ND, we talk to Dr. Julia Strickler, ND*, creator of Peoples 3-Day Seasonal Juice Cleanse. She helps explain what makes cleansing effective and how you can eliminate toxins easily in your everyday life!
Why is now a good time to start a simple, 3-day cleanse?
Spring time is a classic time for cleansing. Think about all the new energy that spring brings! Many people talk about the tradition of spring cleaning for your house, but what about your body? Cleansing is a gentle way to support your body’s natural ability to detoxify. In traditional Chinese medicine, spring is a time when yin energy turns to yang energy. Think about the blossoms on trees and plants; nature expends energy towards new growth/budding while clearing out the old debris from the previous year. Plus, spring break and vacation are good motivators to cleanse.
Your body can cleanse itself, but only if you are consuming the right nutrients.
Absolutely! The main focus is to make sure that you are eating abundant clean fruits and vegetables, drinking adequate water and consuming enough fiber.
What are some organs that our body uses to remove toxins?
The main pathways for detoxification are lungs, skin, liver, bowels, lymph, kidney and the blood.
What causes would affect these organs to work less efficiently? What is it that we’re cleaning out?
- We are bombarded by chemicals that have only been introduced in the last 75 years: pesticides, herbicides, fire retardants, plastics, preservatives, flavorings, prescriptions, etc.
- Chemicals exist in our water supply, even after it’s been treated (including prescription drugs and hormones).
- How are you storing your food?
- Canned foods are lined with a plasticizing agent which leaches into your foods.
- Plastic or glass Tupperware? Glass is preferable, even to BPA-free plastics.
- Fats and proteins: Just as, if not more, important than organic vegetables
- Example: Beef in a feed lot that is eating pesticide-laden corn feed. By consuming this type of protein, it compounds the amount of toxins/chemicals stored in the fat from the meat. Additionally, corn-fed beef vs. grass-fed/finished beef have different Omega-6:Omega-3 ratios. The grass-fed/finished beef has a higher Omega-3 content, which is typically more desirable.
- It’s not just how much fat you have, but about how toxic your fat is. Higher levels of persistent organic pesticides may be associated with increased risk of insulin resistance and type-2 diabetes, according to current research.
- I really like the resources that the Environmental Working Group provides to educate people about what the ‘dirty dozen’ and ‘clean fifteen’ fruits and vegetables are. They also just released a new list of the top endocrine disruptors and a list regarding GMO foods. You can learn more here.
How can we support these organs in their cleansing processes?
- Which nutrients support which detox organs?
- Fiber: Help bind to and remove toxins in the intestines, so they can be eliminated through the bowels.
- Exercise: Skin, lungs, lymph and blood circulation. Increases oxygen to blood, circulation and movement of lymphatic fluid.
- B-vitamins: Help to support liver detoxification and promote enzymatic processes in the body.
Some vegetables that are in Peoples Pharm Fresh cold-pressed juices support the body’s detox and repair processes, too. What are some examples?
- Spinach: Vitamins A, K, folate, and minerals, like manganese, magnesium and iron. Spinach is also concentrated in health-promoting phytonutrients such as carotenoids (beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin) and flavonoids to provide you with powerful antioxidant protection while providing anti-inflammatory benefits. Carotenoids called epoxyxanthophylls, neoxanthin and violaxanthin have been shown to provide some protection against prostate cancer.
- Cucumber: Phytonutrients like cucurbitacins, lignans and flavonoids provide antioxidant benefits. Anti-inflammatory: inhibits the activity of pro-inflammatory enzymes like cyclo-oxygenase 2 (COX-2) and may prevent overproduction of nitric oxide in situations where it could pose health risks.
- Ginger: Anti-Inflammatory: gingerols may reduce the pain from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and overuse injuries. Boosted immune function: stimulates dermacidin which makes you sweat to detoxify.
- Carrot: Antioxidant benefits from the carotenoids and beta-carotene help to reduce oxidative stress on the body’s cells. (source: whfoods.com)
Ways that Peoples can help you cleanse:
- Infrared Sauna – Visit our incredible Infrared Sauna at Peoples Wellness Center and inquire about special packages.
- Skin Brushing – Ask a Wellness Specialist about skin brushing for lymphatic and blood circulation.
- Epsom Salt Baths – Find Epsom salts at all locations for skin detoxification.
- Fiber – Find a variety of high quality fiber supplements at all locations for digestive support.
References/Links: ~EWG – Dirty Dozen, Clean 15, GMO list, Top 10 endocrine disruptors.
By Dr. Julia Strickler, ND*. Dr. Strickler is a naturopathic doctor who works at the South, Central and Westlake Peoples locations. She is available for consultations regarding a variety of health concerns, including support during your cleanse experience.
*Naturopathic doctors are not currently licensed in the state of Texas.