As we enter the holidays, time is certainly becoming more limited. We can use all the help we can get and sometimes that comes in the form of a delicious, healthy snack! One of my favorite snacks is Cinnamon Maple Pecans. Not only are they super flavorful and easy to make, but they’re great for balancing blood sugar so that I don’t “crash”. In fact, they’re so great that I will often make a big batch and give some out to friends as a little treat!
Pecans are sweet and warming. They are rich in protein, minerals, B-vitamins (particularly B6), as well as healthy fats. Pecans are said to be nourishing to the nervous system and, according to Brigitte Mars in her book Rawesome, they can be helpful in repairing damaged cells in cases of heart disease. I love adding cinnamon for its complementary flavor and for helping to balance blood sugar levels. Premier Research Labs’ Pink Salt* gives this a lovely, salty sweet combo that is very satisfying and filling. If you are looking to add extra omega-3s to your diet, try swapping pecans out for walnuts in the recipe.
Cinnamon Maple Pecans
- 5 cups of pecans (raw or already soaked and dehydrated)
- 1/2 cup of Grade B Maple Syrup (for more low glycemic, try Jerusalem Artichoke Syrup – a yummy prebiotic)
- 2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground Mesquite powder (imparts a smoky flavor)
- 1 tsp Organic Vanilla Extract
- 2 pinches of Premier Research Labs’ Pink Salt* (or your preferred sea salt)
1. Place your pecans in a large bowl and mix in all of the other ingredients. Toss it with your hands or a big spoon.
2. Place on Teflex and dehydrate in your dehydrator* for 8 hours at 115ºF. Let cool before serving.
*No dehydrator? No problem!
1. Instead, line baking sheets with parchment. Spread the pecan mixture onto the parchment, which keeps it from sticking to the pan.
2. Bake in the oven at 300ºF for 30-45 minutes until dry to the touch, stirring every 15 minutes to avoid burning.
3. When they cool, store them in a lovely Mason jar which are perfect to give as gifts! They should last up to 1 month. Enjoy and do share!
*Premier Research Labs’ Pink Salt can be found at all Peoples locations.
by Meg Dwyer, Wellness Specialist