As we enter deeper into the spring season, cravings for oceanside breezes and weekend camping trips are rampant. The deep seated urge to see the world is going around and so wanderlust in Austin has begun. Have you ever left for a trip unprepared and couldn’t believe you forgot your go-to supplement or natural product? Just like you make hotel reservations for a weekend away, curating a special “wanderlust kit” will have you that much more prepared and excited for even impromptu travel.
We designed a versatile wanderlust kit (see below) that includes some of the most popular items to take on springtime camping trips or weekend getaways by the sea. Check out a list of some of our favorite wanderlust essentials that we carry at Peoples Rx!
Protect your skin with natural sunscreen. Every year the Environmental Working Group releases the EWG Guide to Sunscreens which take into account potential health hazards. The 2017 list has not been released but you can check out their list from last year here. From the list we recommend Keys Moisturizer + SPF 30 a moisturizer with SPF, or if you are looking for something stronger for a day at the beach try the Badger Face Stick or Thinksport SPF 50.
Try a rub on bug repellent (for easy airline travel) like the Badger Anti-Bug Balm or Acure Baby Bug Balm Stick. If you have already been bitten, Redicare Spray Therapy helps relieve itching from bug bites and outdoor allergies.
These are very convenient and potent companions on short road trips or even long journeys. Perfect for air travel too, since they’re already under the 3.4 oz. travel rule for liquids! These oils are extremely concentrated, with beneficial properties that can support the immune system, sleep and even help heal cuts or burns.
- Thieves oil from Young Living is a blend of essential oil of lemon, clove, eucalyptus, rosemary, and cinnamon. It contains potent antimicrobial properties and has anti-parasitic and antibacterial qualities (1).(2). In addition, lemon is cleansing to the body and can help support lymph drainage.Thieves oil can be rubbed onto the bottoms of the feet where the pores are largest so they are easily absorbed into the bloodstream. When using Thieves oil directly on the skin it’s best to dilute the oil with a carrier oil like almond, coconut, or castor oil.
- Lavender oil from Doterra or Young Living is very relaxing and can help quickly support burns or cuts (3). This soothing blend is very calming to the nervous system and can help promote a good night’s sleep. Lavender can also be rubbed onto the feet at night or during the day. When using Lavender oil directly on the skin it’s best to dilute the oil with a carrier oil like almond, coconut, or castor oil.
- Melaleuca (Tea Tree Oil) from Doterra or Young Living can help disinfect cuts and scrapes that happen along the way.
For the glamping (a.k.a. “glamorous camping”) crowd and all-day beachgoers, pack a good natural deodorant such as the Primal Pit Paste, which has clean ingredients and comes in a variety of scents, or try the travel size deodorant from Rooted Athlete Products which is handmade, coconut oil based and non-toxic. Acure’s Fragrance Free Argan Oil Cleansing Towelettes are easy and nice for face and body, and don’t forget a great lip product like the Vitamin E Sticks from Reviva Labs.
- Sleep is a common struggle for travelers away from daily comforts. To help with sleep, take individual packets of Magnesium Calm from Natural Vitality along with you. These packets can be poured into water before flying to ease anxiety, or taken before bed for a more relaxing and calming sleep.
- If you will be traveling internationally, JetZone, a homeopathic jet lag prevention, can help you with fatigue relief.
- Finally, no trip would be complete without some great quality shelf-stable probiotics, perfect for boosting your immune system on the road. Consider an employee favorite like Probulin Daily Care, which contains a variety of strains and ranks high in effectiveness among our customers.
What other travel must-haves might you pack in a wanderlust kit? Share your natural remedies in the comments below!
by Natalie Collier, MScN
Specializing in Medical Nutrition Therapy, Gut Health, Weight Loss and Detoxification