St. Valentine’s Day has been woven from the fabric of myths and legends into a day for exchanging love messages and gifts with our sweethearts. St. Valentine is now the patron saint of lovers. This time of year allows us a unique opportunity to shine light upon ways in which we support our sexual, healthful selves.
Sex itself in fact has many benefits: It can help support the prostate gland in men, relieve symptoms associated with PMS in women, improve circulation, boost the immune system, lower cholesterol and encourage the release of feel-good endorphins.
In our Wellness department at Peoples Rx, we carry a unique selection of libido enhancing and hormone balancing blends. Leading herbalist and author of Sexual Herbal, Brigitte Mars encourages us saying, ‘We can reclaim our bodies as sacred vessels and renew our commitment to experiencing our delights in a conscious heartfelt way.’ The following is my go-to list of blends and treats to help support you on your quest for sexual health:
- Women’s Jing, a potent blend by Dragon Herbs is a top aphrodisiac formula. This formula supports pelvic circulation and healthy female reproduction. I have had excellent feedback from clients who have used this for formula for overall energy support and boosting libido particularly postmenopause.
- Gaia Herbs Macaboost with Cacao and Ginger Spice is a delicious way to enhance your smoothie pleasures and get a dose of the hormone regulating herb, Maca. This Peruvian root vegetable is highly prized for its ability to enhance fertility, libido, endurance, ease mild depression and offer support through both menopause and PMS.
- V Magic is a lovely adjunct to your beauty ritual for intimate areas. This whipped topical cream is soothing to sensitive and tender skin. Organic oils from Olive fruit, Avocado, Sea Buckthorn combine with healing bee medicine: Organic honey, beeswax and propolis. You can utilize this whenever your skin requires some love. V Steams are another wonderful body luxury. This women’s treatment gently cleanses, tones and revitalizes a woman’s center, providing a myriad of benefits from soothing menstrual cramps to encouraging fertility.
- EZ Herb’s Rose Tincture is a classic aphrodisiac. Roses have been used for centuries to evoke the spirit of love in the heart and mind. Local herbalist Ellen Zimmerman writes on her web site that Cleopatra had her servants gather rose petals to scatter in her boudoir to entice the affections of her chosen one. The scent has been known to address a closed or broken heart and anytime you experience constricted feelings.
- My personal favorite chocolate to have on hand for Valentine’s Day (or any day) is Great Bean’s Love, an 80% dark chocolate with low glycemic coconut sugar. This chocolate is infused with the libido-enhancing herbs Damiana, Yohimbe, Maca, Vanilla and Cinnamon. Damiana is one of my all time favorite herbs. Its latin name, turnera aphrodisiaca is associated with the Greek goddess of love, Aphrodite, and is evidence of its aphrodisiac effects. Not only can it improve orgasmic ability but it also promotes physical endurance, regulates the pituitary and helps ease feelings of anxiousness.
- Medi-Herbs product Nevaton also shares the herb Damiana in its blend along with St. John’s Wort, Schizandra and Skullcap. By nourishing and strengthening the nervous system, this blend addresses the irritability, fatigue and debility that can keep us from having a healthy sexual expression.
Delight in your own sensuality this Valentine’s Day and all year round. Remember, there are many ways to expand love, sensual awareness, satisfaction and healthy lifestyle. I hope these suggestions expand your repertoire and bring you joy.
Meghan Kate Dwyer
Herbalist, Wellness Specialist, Kundalini Yoga Certified, Artist