As the long, leisurely days of summer come to an end and the beginning of school approaches, are you feeling a little more rushed than usual? It seems the important things like spending time with family and cooking at home often get pushed aside for other, more pressing events that fill up our time. Cooking at home allows for quality time with family and a wholesome, nutritious meal. Make it a priority to set time aside for planning, shopping and preparing meals for your family. Here is a simple, seasonal recipe to get your busy fall season off on the right foot! Try this meal with our Vital Choice* wild Alaskan sockeye salmon which is packed with omega-3 fatty acids, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), vitamin A and a wide array of other nutrients. See more below!
Salmon & Zucchini, baked in parchment
adapted from Martha Stewart’s original recipe
Serves 2 (ingredients may be doubled for a family)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 skinless, 6oz Vital Choice* wild Alaskan sockeye salmon fillets
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed organic unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme or rosemary
- 2 lemon slices, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Fold two, large pieces of parchment paper in half to crease and lay flat.
2. On each piece of parchment paper on the side of one crease, put zucchini, top it with shallot, garlic, butter, herbs, and lemon slices. Season with salt and pepper. Place one piece of salmon on top; drizzle with lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Repeat these steps for the other piece of parchment paper.
3. To close, fold parchment paper over salmon; make small overlapping folds to seal the open sides and create a half mooned shaped packet. Place both “packages” on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until salmon is opaque throughout, 15-17 minutes. To serve, use a large metal spatula to transfer contents to a serving platter.
*Vital Choice wild Alaskan sockeye salmon fillets can be found at the South and Central Peoples locations. This particular brand of fish is some of the world’s finest wild seafood and organic fare, harvested from healthy, well-managed wild fisheries and farms. All fish is sustainably caught, high in omega-3s and certifiably free of hazardous levels of contaminants. For tips on how to consume seafood safely, as well as how wild sockeye salmon can be a beneficial addition to the diet, click here for an in-depth seafood industry analysis written by Dr. Joseph Mercola.
by Ashley LaRue, BS, CN