Summertime, and the living is . . . itchy, sneezy, bruised and sleepless? Master Homeopath Dawn Welch has solutions for summer’s little irritations. Easy and lightweight to pack, simple to use, safe and effective for every member of the family (including the dog), homeopathic remedies are a must in every backpack or suitcase to make the most of your fun in the sun! Here are seven key remedies to keep with you in case summer strikes:
1. Apis mellifica 30C – This is the classic remedy for insect bites. You know the horrible sting of a wasp or a fire ant or even a jellyfish – if it feels like a wasp, this remedy will help take out the ouch. Take 3 pellets sublingually every 15 minutes until the sting is gone.
If you want to go the extra mile you can also apply tea tree oil topically, or break open a digestive enzyme capsule and apply it topically to break down the venom – that works for scorpion stings too.
2. Arnica montana 30C – Everyone’s favorite for bruising, and also sprains and strains that feel like a bruise. Three pellets under your tongue one to three times daily depending on the severity.
3. Belladonna 30C –This remedy helps in situations where you are overheated, can’t cool down, and generally have too much heat or a fever. Even mild sun poisoning will respond, but don’t forget to hydrate like crazy and get out of the heat. This remedy works best if you’re so hot that you’re red in the face, can’t get cool and feel like you’ve sweat so much you’re all dried out. For a situation like this that can turn into an emergency, use 3 pellets under your tongue every 15 minutes and make sure you’re getting into the shade or AC and hydrating. If you’re not cooling down fast or if you have fainting, nausea, vomiting, severe headache, fever or chills, it’s time to get some medical attention.
4. Calendula 30C – This is a great go-anywhere tool for bleeding wounds, scraped knees, cuts, scratches and even nose bleeds. Again 3 pellets under your tongue once to three times a day to speed up healing.
5. Nux vomica 30C – This is a great general remedy for any kind of random stomach distress. It’s just nice to have on hand in case of weird food incidents. Activated charcoal is great too just in case there is actual food poisoning.
6. Pulsatilla 30C – In the dreaded event of a summer cold (ugh) this is a great remedy and will help with the sticky, stringy, green mucous. Because nobody wants that in the summer.
7. Jet Zone – If your vacation includes travel across several time zones (lucky you), this handy remedy will keep you on track, in rhythm and rocking your special trip! Just take it as the directions on the box indicate for your particular flight and circumstances.
The best news is that even if you get every remedy on the list, it will still take up about as much space as a large change purse or small makeup bag and you can toss them in anywhere! Gentle, safe, easy to pack and easy to use. What more could you ask for?
by Dawn Welch, Master Homeopath & Nutritionist at Peoples North