On October 23, 2023, after her public book signing at our North Lamar location, bestselling author Dr. Pamela Smith, MD, MPH held a private, practitioner event with us where she discussed her new book: Maximize Your Male Hormones – Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments of Men’s Most Common Health Disorders. Our own pharmacist and men’s health expert, Robert Moore, RPh shares a few key takeaways from the evening below:
1. Healthy testosterone (along with DHEA, progesterone, estradiol, etc.) levels are critical to health in the aging process.
2. Testosterone plays a key role in regards to most if not all of the major diseases most men face. Healthy levels will help decrease likelihood and onset of heart disease, diabetes, etc.
3. There are 3 ways to measure testosterone (or any hormone) levels in the human body: 1. Blood, 2. Urine, 3. Saliva.
4. If a patient is using a topical form of testosterone (or any hormone) and having their level checked via the blood, it is likely that their dose will be higher than it needs to be and could possibly lead to disease instead of wellness.
5. If a patient is using a topical form of testosterone (or any hormone), the best method for testing hormone levels is via the saliva.
If you’re interested in learning more, her book is a quick read and a great reference.
And for the record, Dr. Smith has written about women’s hormones as well, most recently in her book: What You Must Know About Women’s Hormones – Second Edition: Your Guide to Natural Hormone Treatments for PMS, Menopause, Osteoporosis, PCOS, and More. Luckily, if you are woman in the Austin area who has hormone questions or concerns, or simply desires a one-on-one approach to your health concerns, our own pharmacist and women’s hormones expert, Deborah Fernandes, RPh can help you on your path to optimal wellness, as she has helped countless others!
About Robert N. Moore, R.Ph.
Robert graduated from The University of Texas at Austin College of Pharmacy in 1987. He has spent his entire pharmacy life being a part of independent pharmacy and working on its behalf at the local, state and national level. Robert has worked for PeoplesRx since January 2014.
“I believe pharmacists still play a significant role in individual patient health care. I also believe that every day is filled with opportunities to help better the life of someone else by sharing specific drug knowledge or making an over-the-counter recommendation. It’s all about making a difference in some small way.”
If you have comments and/or questions about this blog, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.