With summer in full swing, who wouldn’t like to shed a few extra pounds to look good in that swimsuit? I know I would! My name is Katherine Butler and I am a Health, Wellness & Weight Loss Coach at Peoples in Westlake. We all know that a healthy, balanced eating program coupled with daily exercise is the best combo for losing weight and feeling great. That said, if a “magic pill” existed to help curb our appetites, burn/block fats and enhance our weight loss, wouldn’t you be interested?
With the help of some specially-designed natural supplements, you may achieve your diet/weight loss goals easier and faster. Here are a few options Peoples carries that you may consider:
1. Garcinia Cambogia: Garcinia cambogia’s active element is hydroxycitric acid (HCA). Some research backs the effectiveness of HCA at reducing fat absorption, increasing fat metabolism and lowering LDL (bad cholesterol). Studies reveal that HCA blocks fat by inhibiting a key enzyme that your body needs to make fat from carbohydrates: citrate lyase. Usually carbohydrates or sugars that are not used immediately or stored in other forms are converted into fats. When HCA inhibits citrate lyase, the fat-making process is halted and the production of LDL and triglycerides decrease. HCA is also touted for suppressing appetite (I noticed this when I tried it) by increasing serotonin levels. This means you may feel happier and less inclined to emotionally eat. If, in fact, garcinia cambogia encourages weight loss by inhibiting part of the fat-making process, lowering LDL and making us happier, then it may be worth a try.
2. Green Coffee Bean Extract: While roasting green coffee beans removes its naturally bitter taste (and makes coffee have its yummy taste) it also removes a significant portion of chlorogenic acid. Chlorogenic acid is the active compound in green coffee beans that encourages weight loss. Chlorogenic acid is thought to positively affect how the body handles blood sugar and metabolism. With stable blood sugar, this results in increased energy, mental clarity, balanced hormone function, detoxification improvement and weight loss. Various studies have suggested that chlorogenic acid slows absorption of fat from food intake and also activates metabolism of extra fat. Burn, baby, burn!
3. Whey Protein: Whey protein has been touted for years in helping build lean muscle mass. However, whey protein can also help suppress appetite, thus helping you eat less. Whey protein, which is derived from the whey of milk, is an easily digestible form of protein. It contains high levels of the amino acid cysteine. We all know that having more lean muscle helps with weight loss, so add a scoop to your next healthy smoothie, it couldn’t hurt! (unless of course you are dairy-free or lactose intolerant.)
4. CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid): CLA is an essential fatty acid and, according to many years of research, seems to aid in weight loss. It is said that CLA reduces body fat by increasing basal metabolic rates which help the body convert food into energy more efficiently. CLA doesn’t decrease overall body weight; rather, it keeps a little fat cell from getting bigger. CLA is claimed to increase metabolism, enhance muscle growth, and lower insulin resistance. If, in fact, CLA assists in the metabolism of stored body fat and prevents the metabolism from slowing down during diet, count me in!
4. Green Tea Extract: You may have already heard that green tea is loaded with healthy antioxidants, but did you know it might help you lose weight, too? There is some thought that regular consumption may promote weight loss by adjusting resting energy usage and increasing the use of energy. The components in green tea extract that have shown some effect on lowering body weight are catechins, caffeine and theanine. (Decaffeinated green tea probably won’t work as well as regular green tea.) Green tea extract can help to increase your resting metabolic rate so that you burn more calories, 24/7. This means a greater calorie deficit is created and it’s that calorie deficit that determines whether you lose body fat or not.
5. Chromium: Chromium (a mineral) is an essential part of the metabolic process that regulates blood sugar and helps insulin transport glucose into cells, where it can be used for energy. Chromium is involved in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fat, and protein and thus may help control and reduce excess body fat. Furthermore, studies show that chromium supplementation effectively lowers blood sugar, insulin levels and can increase levels of the ‘good’ HDL cholesterol. If chromium can really regulate appetite, reduce sugar cravings and lower body fat then I need to buy some ASAP!
6. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is another product that may help you on your journey to natural weight loss. ACV is a natural antibiotic/antiseptic that has endless benefits. I have been drinking what I call the Katherine Healthy Detox and Cleanse Drink (KHDCD) for over 8 years and I know first hand this drink rocks, with ACV being the most active ingredient. ACV helps suppress appetite, acts as a natural diuretic and encourages effective digestion and elimination. This ultimately helps your body de-bloat and stay happy and healthy! (Recipe below!)
In addition to exercise and a healthy, balanced diet, maybe if we wash down some of these pills with the KHDCD we can lose a little weight and reach our healthy goals this summer a little bit faster!
– by Katherine Butler, Health, Wellness & Weight Loss Coach
Katherine Healthy Detox and Cleanse Drink (KHDCD) Recipe:
~ 2 tbsp. Bragg®’s Apple Cider Vinegar – You will notice a settlement at the bottom of the bottle and this is the “good” stuff also known as “the mother!” Always shake and then pour desired amount. Also, I keep mine in the fridge because It helps it to be more palatable, but you don’t have to.
~ 2 tbsp. cranberry juice (unsweetened, NOT from concentrate) – Amazing, all-natural benefits in addition to being an exceptional, natural diuretic!
~ 1 Emergen-C® packet (any flavor) – Provides added vitamins and minerals as well as helps to make the KHDCD taste a little bit better!
~ 1-2 tsp lemon juice (optional) – Another amazing addition for the natural benefits as well as a natural diuretic!
~ 1/2 tsp green tea extract or 1-2 tsp strongly steeped green tea – Green tea’s benefits are truly outstanding. It’s an amazing antioxidant, enhances your immune system and has thermogenic and appetite-suppressing effects – just to name a few!
~ cayenne pepper (optional) – Just a pinch (or as much as you can handle). This provides a thermogenic effect by stimulating your metabolism and stoking those fat-burning fires!
~ water ~ As much as you want!
~ ice (optional)